Friday, March 22, 2013

Quinoa Risotto

I made this the other night and all of us wanted more so I thought it was a good one to share.  It was really delicious.  I served it with steamed chicken and sweet carrots but it could go with a variety of meals.  It was very easy to make.  Now once again this is my creation of risotto.  There would be some that would turn their noses at me for even calling it risotto, but it is my quick, easy, and healthy spin on it!  I don't really care what it is called, it was good, and the kids ate it!!

2 C Cooked Organic Brown Rice
1 C Water
1/2 C Organic Quinoa ( I use TJ organic tricolor)
2 t Each Onion Powder, Garlic Powder
1 C Organic Chicken Broth
1/2 C Organic Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded (optional)*
2 T EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)  I use cold-pressed
1 t Sea Salt

*traditionally Parmesan Cheese is used, but I like the taste the cheddar gives.  Feel free to make it your own!

Cook up your brown rice and put to the side ( you can do this at the same time you begin the quinoa to save time).  In a pot begin to boil 1 C of water.  Add quinoa and spices.  Once it begins to boil, cover and turn heat down to low.  Let simmer until quinoa has absorbed all the water, stirring a few times.  Make sure to keep covered.  This takes about 8-10 minutes.  Heat skillet on low-med and add oil.  Add quinoa to skillet. Begin to alternate 1/3 of rice and then 1/3 chicken broth and mix.  Continue this step 3 times until all of the rice and chicken broth are completely mixed into the quinoa.  At this point it will be complete and delicious for those of you that do not or can not do dairy.  For others add the cheddar cheese for extra texture and flavor.

You can also add very tiny diced veggies, chopped greens, or peas.

Sorry for the lack of pictures.  When I create a meal for the first time I am not sure how it will taste.  It isn't until after we eat it that I decide if it is good enough to make again or share.  By then it is too late because we've already eaten it and there is nothing left to take pictures of.  Maybe I should start taking pictures of empty plates to show that we liked it!

If anyone has a tasty, healthy meal that they would like to share, please email me.  I would be happy to share your recipe on the blog.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment