Monday, March 25, 2013

Family: A Childhood Easter



As a child, Easter was one of my favorite holidays.  It was a time of year that the snow begins to melt and you can hear the birds singing again.  Everywhere you went you were surrounded by fuzzy little chickies and soft furry bunnies.  Bright pink, purple, blue, green, and yellow overcame the dark and dreariness of winter.  It was a sign that spring was in the air.  The time of new birth and new beginnings.  For me it was especially exciting, because it was one of the only times that I got to get a brand new dress.  Mom would take us all to the store and we would pick something special.  One year in particular stands out to me, because I got a matching hat as well.  I felt so beautiful.  Far from my ordinary mismatched handy downs.  Looking back I realize the importance.  We were dressing up for a most honored occasion.  The celebration of our Saviors return to the throne! 


My parents always made it a big deal.  We would boil and dye eggs.  Even though it could be messy at times, we were each able to do our own.  We would wake Easter morning to baskets filled with goodies.  One year we even found a half eaten carrot and bunny tracks.  It was simple, childish, and delightful.  We would then dress up in our new Easter outfits and head to church.  After weeks of dim mournful services, the church would be a live with praise.  The organ sounded and the words filled my spirit and we would rejoice together in unison for Our Savior, was no longer dead, but RISEN, and is alive!  It was an amazing experience.  The praising didn't end at church we would sing all the way home to our favorite hymns"  Christ IS Risen Alleluia, CHRIST IS RISEN FROM THE DEAD" or "Christ the Lord is Risen today, Alleluia".

Dad would be waiting at home for us, cooking some delicious meal that we would share together.  It was these special moments that I cherished, making me feel complete.  Even if most of the year we were not the traditional family, holidays were always special.

Now that I am a mom, I want to give these kinds of memories to my children.  I want to fill their hearts with wonder and joy.  I want them to have fun and be excited, but most of all I want them to understand the truth of it.  I have been thinking all month about a fun project to do with them the week of Easter.  So when I saw this project come across my face book feed, I knew it was perfect.  Hands on, beautiful, and with great purpose.  A friend of mine, led me to a blog with directions, so I am sharing it below.  Even if you don't have children, it would make a beautiful centerpiece and a reminder, that the tomb is empty and our Savior Lives!

Just click on the link and it will take you to the blog with the directions.
 Mini-Resurrection Garden

 IMG_8947web




No comments:

Post a Comment