Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Five Minute French Manicure

 I have always loved having my nails done.  It makes me some how feel put together, even if I am in sweats with undone hair and no make up.  When I was younger, long before any children came along, it was a priority for me.  With each child it became considerably harder due to lack of time and money.  I gave up on the idea of having my nails look nice.  After all how important was it really in the scheme of things?  I was surprised at how important it was for me.  It wasn't the act of having my nails done, but how having cleaning tidy nails made me feel about myself.  For me if my nails are not done neatly, then I begin to pick, peal, and even bite them.  Then, not only are they not done, but also look horrible which make me feel grubby.  I began to try to find time and ways to do my own nails at home.  This proved difficult for me, because of my perfectionist ways.  I would spend up to an hour sometimes trying to make perfects lines.  Even on the rare occasion that I was able to get just the look I wanted, I would no doubt smear or smudge them for lack of drying time.  Well these frustrating days are over for me.  I came across my new technique by chance one day.  I was digging through the junk drawer in my kitchen and came across one of my handy dandy paint pens.  I thought hmmm....doesn't hurt to try.  It was the perfect thickness and I was able to easily draw a line across the tip of my nail.  What?!  It was crazy, in less then a minute I had clean white nail tips.  I was so excited, but it began to wear off after only a few hours as worked around the house.  I needed a good top coat, and after a few different tries, I found the perfect one.  I had to play with it a couple times to get the right "smile" line for my liking, but once I had it down it was a breeze.  Now just like any french manicure it will wear off after a couple days.  The beauty of doing it in your own home, you can touch it up every day if you want and always have the look of a fresh clean manicure.












Warning this is not toxic or chemical free, but if you get
your nails done or use any kind of regular nail polish it really is no different.

You will need the following:
Begin with clean dry hands.  Use the rounded end of cuticle tool to push back and form a nice wide cuticle bed.  Then use the paint pen and in one direction draw a line starting from the outer side of the nail to the inner side.  This part you need to play with a little to get it right.  Once you have it down you will not need to work at it.  I mostly follow my natural "smile" line.  Once I have my start line, I fill in the rest to the tip.  DO NOT worry if it gets on your fingers.  Do not try to remove it right away, this is something that can be easily done later.  Once you have the "smile" line done then let dry for a minute.  Follow with one coat of your pink polish.  Let dry one minute.  Finish with the top coat.  This top coat drys to a durable shine in just a few minutes.  Once your nails are completely dry then you can use soap and water to remove any extra paint that may have gotten on your fingers.  I have literally put my kids in the car, did this manicure in less than five minutes in my car, and they were perfectly dry by the time I arrived at my destination.  Remember the first couple times it may take a little longer to get it just the way you like it, but once you get it down you can have beautiful nails literally every day.

Too touch up, just lightly sand the chipped area and go over the nails with the same process.

I just wanted to share one of the little things in my life that has made a difference for me.  If  it helps great!  If you think I am crazy, I'm ok with that too.  BUT, I am crazy with nice nails!!

Have a great day!
Kelli

1 comment: