Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My Legacy Revealed My Heart Exposed

You may have noticed in my blog header the lyrics to one of my favorite songs, "Legacy" by Nichole Nordeman.  I fell in love with this song many years ago when I first heard her sing it live at the Women of Faith Conference.  It was just her and her piano on the large stage.  There I sat in the huge arena with 15,000 other women.  The lights were dim, all was quiet, and as she played the keys, the music filled my ears.  Her beautiful voice captured me as the words she sang penetrated my heart.  It was in that moment when I knew I wanted that kind of life.  The words spoke right to me.  So there among all those strangers, I had a life changing experience.  Did this song affect them the way it did me?  Are they hearing the same words I am, or is it passing right through them as just some quick entertainment between speakers?  Maybe this moment was just for me.  Could this be?  It seems impossible and yet I have experienced it before and in times since.  The way God can mold an entire situation just for that one in need.  The way He goes after the one lost sheep.  It is the way He loves us, and it is beautiful.  I was already a Christian, had been my whole life.  I was already studying God's word and trying to live my life in accordance to His word.  This moment just put it all into prospective for me.  Again the words came to me that I had heard so many times before, but this time it was different.  We can not take anything with us when we leave this earth.  This part I knew, but what I realized there in that moment, was that the most important things we do in our life is not what we can obtain, but the things we can leave behind that can neither wither nor die. 

Over the passing years since the concert my life changed drastically.  We started a family, and as I matured as a mom and wife, this song became a sounding board to me.  I continued in my study of the bible.  I grew deeper in love with my Savior, and my desire became to please him  above all.  I would listen to this song and use it to compare the decisions I was making in my life.  The questions always forming in my head.  Was this bigger than just me?  Can I leave it behind?  Who does it help?  Who does it honor?  Is this how I want to be known?  Though my heart was in the right place, my actions did not always follow.  I had many struggles along the way.  They held me back and made me feel unworthy and useless as a wife, a mother, and a child of God.  I knew that if I was truly one of his beloved, then He had so much more planned for my life then the pit of filth I found myself in.  It was definitely not what I wanted to be known for, what I wanted to leave behind.  It was not even my true heart or desires, it was simply sin that was standing between me and God's glory. 

As I persevered through these times, I desired even greater that I would make a life that could be a legacy.  A legacy to my children and grandchildren, to those who knew me, even to the world.  One that shows of God's love, goodness, grace, and mercy.  I have seen God's grace.  I have experienced His mercy.  I have felt His love.  I have been forgiven, redeemed, and made whole again.  I now know that my greatest legacy will be found in my children.  How I raise and nurture them.  Who I am and what I do will directly affect who they become.  Will they love God?  Will they raise a family who lifts their arms in praise to the Creator and Maker.  Will they also want to leave a legacy of His love.  What will they do for His kingdom?  I want to show them how to love and be loved.  How to be a friend.  How to care for those in need.  How to help others and put them first.  To know what it takes to be a Godly husband and loving daddy.  A devoted and loving wife and nurturing mommy.   I want them to see how important family is and know how to make them a priority.  To know a marriage that reflects God's love for us.  One that stands the test of time.  That "I do" means something more than just two words spoken in a moment.  That it means sacrifice, commitment, selflessness, service, friendship, and romance too.  I want them to see two people that love and fully give to each other.  Who run their house with Him at the center.  Who raise their children to love and respect each other.  I want them to understand that love is not simply something you say but something you do.  I desire for them to understand that they can fail and yet thrive.  That sorrow and joy can coexist.  That where there is forgiveness and love, there are second chances.  I want them to see the beauty of the world that God created.  It is more than the hard, sad, bitter world around them.  They can have a life that is deep and meaningful; filled with joy, hope, love, blessings, and most of all thankfulness.  This is what I want to leave behind.  This is my mission field.  My Legacy.

So why blog?  I want to leave a record of my life.  I want to share my experiences and knowledge to those around me.  I want to give back for all of the things I am given.  To share my blessings, my gifts.  If I can offer any kind of help to someone searching then I want to do that.  I have joy.  I live a life of thankfulness.  I am blessed.  These blessings come in all different ways.  Some are through designing, creating, and making my house a home.  These things I want to share.  Some are from making healthy tasty meals for my family that are quick and easy.  Some are even the knowledge of how to care for my body, both physically and spiritually.  Some of the blessings come from finding the right trick or tip to make daily life a little less stressful.  Everyone can use some encouraging and positive thoughts and if I have something to give, then I want to give it.  I have a passion for life and for people.  For loving families and strong marriages.  I want everyone to be as happy as I am.  If by sharing my life, I can give a someone else some of these blessings, some of my joy, then this is what I want to do.

So please click the link below, listen, and reflect.  What will your legacy be?


3 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you so much for writing this. It's truly beautiful and brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a gifted writer Kelli! Very eloquent with your words, descriptive to the point of being able to envision your picture. It means a lot to hear about your growth and gifts. I miss you and love to hear where u r in your spiritual walk and marriage....inspiring to me. Love u!

    Your Big Sis, Karie

    ReplyDelete