Friday, March 8, 2013

My Favorite Smoothies

Who Doesn't love a Good Smoothie?  I used to enjoy a healthy smoothie often for my breakfast or lunch, I really loved it!  It would fill me and give me energy and was yummy too! I find that eating healthy is a habit.  When you do it all the time it becomes easy and routine.  When you get out of the habit, it is very hard to get going again.  I seem to always get out of the habit with each of my pregnancies (  the reason I gain 40-50lbs with each one..HA!).  Emmalyn is now 18 months and I am ready to started again.  So my smoothies are back and I am so glad!  I do not use a recipe so this may need to be tweaked to your liking.  Use more milk or add ice for a thinner smoothie and add more yogurt, keifer, or bannana for a thicker smoothie. 

I often use the Baby Bullet for single serving,s but I have the Breville blender that works very well.  It even has has a smoothie setting.  These just happen to be what I use, but any blender would work fine.

Berry Banana
1/4 C Strawberry Keifer*  (I get mine at Trader Joe's)
1/2 C Organic Rice Milk or Almond Milk
1 C Frozen Kale or Spinach* (or a mix of both)
1/2 C Frozen Strawberries*
1/2 C Frozen Blueberries*
1 banana* (frozen or not, your choice)
1 T Goatein Powder (I use Garden of Life)
1 T Wheat Germ

Add all ingredients to blender and mix until smooth.  Pour into glass and top with wheat germ.  Enjoy!

 Going Green
1/2 C Organic Rice Milk or Almond Milk
1/4 C Organic Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
1/4 Organic Plain Yogurt*
1 Med Apple* (peeled, cored, and diced)
1 C Frozen Kale*
1 C Frozen Spinach*
1 Banana*
1 T Goatein Powder (I use Garden of Life)
1 Lemon Juiced*

Add all ingredients to blender and mix until smooth.  Enjoy!


*Extra Tips
All ingredients that I use are organic.  Any flavored keifer or yogurt would work.  I suggest an organic greek style or Stoneyfield Farm Organic Yogurt.  Please do not use any with artificial sweetners in it.   I buy bags of fresh kale and freeze so that I always have it available.  You can also purchase bananas in bulk to freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment