Monday, October 22, 2012

New Dinning Room Bench Makeover




I have been wanting a bench for my dinning room for a few years now.   I had used the grain sack styled one that I had done back in May for a little while.  I loved the look of the bench but size didn't quite fit the table.  After searching the web and finding that the look I wanted I soon realized that it was going to cost much more than I could afford anytime soon, so....I decided to make my own.  I had a wood bench downstairs in my craft room and it almost was a perfect fit. 

It was the right length but it seemed a little to narrow to sit comfortably on.  I made a trip to Lowes and had them cut me a 14 inch x 4 foot board.  I glued it on and put screws in it to secure it.  Now it was the right shape and size, it just needed to be covered.  I had some chair cushion foam on hand so I used them.  I would eventually like to redo it with a 4 inch foam, but this works for now.  I had upholstered my dinning room chairs a couple years ago in a washed canvas drop cloth and I still love the way they looked, so I used the same fabric to cover the bench.  I was first going to make a slipcover for it, but it was going to be used a lot by children getting on and off.   I didn't want the slipcover to shift and move all the time so I decided to upholster it instead.  I first put the foam down and then covered it and secured with staples.  I measured for the skirt, hemmed just the side that would touch the floor.  I then began to gather and staple around the top edge of the bench.  I finished it with white trim.  It isn't perfect, but I am happy with it.  I love the look it gives my dinning room.  The boys love it too, they now sit at the dinning room table all the time.  It is funny how a simple project can take a room from being used only at sit down dinners and make it a cozy part of the house.

1 comment:

  1. The dining room is a part of every house and for decorating your dining room you have to select dining room furniture carefully. Because it defines your lifestyle. So many wooden and many design dining room furniture is now sold in an online store. You can grab your own.

    ReplyDelete